Monday

Monster HDMI Cables Take em or Leave 'em




"I have to set a budget for the cables for my system!" Many of you have said this to yourself in one form or another as you started looking at Monster HDMI cables to connect your home theater components. The prices can be a little mind blowing for some of the Monster HDMI cables such as the Monster Cable M1000 4' HDTV HDMI A/V Cable - 1.22M or the Monster Ultra Series 800 HDMI Cable (8 ft.). This is in part because Monster HDMI cables are touted as the best but don't let the brand name be the only thing you consider. There is great competition besides Monster HDMI cables. Some at significant price breaks! I use to think Monster would be everything I would ever use but three things led to a shift in my thinking
  1. Cost
  2. Consumer reviews
  3. My own "scientific" tests
As many before me and after me will attest, Monster can be quite expensive unless you use the ultimate discount shopping software. Monster was the only company I knew about and that was my fault for not looking at other companies like Acoustic Research (which I stumbled across and now use for component video, subwoofer, and digital coax) and Audioquest. Due to needs, I had to locate a cost effective cable for my DVD player and receiver. With my software, I was able to locate a company called MonoPrice.com and have obtained most of my cables from them exclusively. I want to share something a little off-topic but I bought the PS2 component video cable so I could stop using the composite video to my HDTV and the picture quality of the games improved dramatically at a fraction of the cost of other cables for the PS2 system. See for yourself. Do a search on PS2 component video cables and compare the Monoprice to the others. I'm just here to share knowledge and help anyone that wants it.

The second thing I began to do was take the time to read more consumer reviews. Good, bad, or indifferent on various brands. It became necessary to avoid some of the pitfalls other have fallen into. In order to improve my home theater, it was important to seek out more knowledgeable people to make an educated and informed decision. One of the best decisions I could have made when I purchased the cable from Monoprice versus the Monster HDMI cables.

The third thing I did once I received my HDMI cables, along with my PS2 cable, I performed my own "scientific" test. I read the details/specs on what I purchased and the Monster HDMI cables. No big difference to me. I read the ratings of CL2 and 1.3a. Again, no difference to me. Weight and build quality to my untrained eye and hands, no differences. Matter of fact, one of the companies that came by to give me a quote on a high definition projector project I'm thinking about said I made a good choice. Now he could have been doing that to get me to go with their company but he had the cables in his hand and stated he was going to add them to his product list. Visually, the image on the TV and the sound was remarkable! In the end, that is what's important, right? That you have bought cable that meets your criteria to connect the appropriate home theater components and you are pleased with the end results.

So as you look at Monster HDMI cables or anything else out there at Amazon, MonoPrice, or another company, please keep in mind you can get quality cables at significant price breaks. Your savings could even lead to more electronic or DVD purchases and who doesn't want to purchase more. Remember cost, consumer reviews, and your own "scientific" test with the final analysis being a simple "It's all good!"

Please share with your friends on twitter. Leave your comments to tell me what you think.

Twitter

1 comments:

quickduie said...

HDMI, DisplayPort and DVI are all digital standards used for High Definition video signals. DVI & DisplayPort (V1) solely carry the video-image signal but no audio, where as HDMI covers each. Therefore if you employ a DVI or DisplayPort (V1) cable, you will need to connect audio cables from your DVD-player, CPU, games console or cable/satellite receiver to your TV.

Post a Comment

If you like what you've read, please leave your comments and share with others. I appreciate your feedback!